If you know me, you already know how I feel about drinking water. Water is SO, so important for our bodies, for our health. Of course, water is the lowest calorie drink we can take in; it’s also the purest with no added chemicals, preservatives, sugars or artificial sweeteners. There are countless benefits. . . and ZERO adverse side effects.
Here are just a few reasons you should be drinking water daily, as provided by Harvard Health, Healthline, and Medical News Today – just to name a few:
- carrying nutrients and oxygen to your cells
- flushing bacteria from your bladder
- aiding digestion
- preventing constipation
- normalizing blood pressure
- stabilizing the heartbeat
- cushioning joints
- protecting organs and tissues
- regulating body temperature
- maintaining electrolyte (sodium) balance.
Keep in mind, while you should drink at least 64 to 80 ounces each day, you need more water when you are:
- Outdoors in hot climates
- More physically active
- Running a fever
- Experiencing nasal congestion and/or drainage
- Experiencing digestional upset (vomiting or diarrhea)
I know some of my clients just don’t like water – because it doesn’t really have any flavor, or they are really hooked on drinking sodas, flavored sports drinks, and sweet tea. Here are a few things to keep in mind about these drinks:
- In addition to having too many chemicals and sugars, sodas are also dehydrating. There’s simply NO good reason, nutritionally speaking, to drink these.
- Flavored sports drinks, such as Gatorade and Powerade, typically contain more sugars than electrolytes. Look for a healthier alternative that is lower in sugar.
- All alcoholic beverages contain hidden sugars and can be dehydrating.
- Any drink you have that is dehydrating will require you to drink additional water to insure you’re properly hydrated!
If you weren’t already sold on the benefits of water, are you ready to do better with your water intake? Here are a few tips to help!
- In keeping with better, cleaner nutrition, add protein powders into your meal prep. Instead of using milk or almond milk, use water. Boom! You can add eight (8) to 12 ounces of water with a healthy snack.
- Invest in a really pretty or fun bottle for yourself. Even though it seems like a silly mental trick – it works!! It’s like a little reward for doing something good for yourself. You can refill it as needed throughout the day.
- Order water when eating out. It goes with ANY dish, and will also save you money.
- My favorite soda alternative is Spark (made by AdvoCare). Not only does it have caffeine, it also contains Vitamin B6, B12, Taurine, among other amino acids. I always mix it with at least 12 ounces of water!
- Add a wedge of lemon or lime.
- Use a straw.
- Create a competition with a friend or group of friends.
- Track how much you drink each day.
Our bodies NEED water! Every single one of us will feel better if our bodies are hydrated. What have you got to lose? You’ll feel better, be healthier, AND save money! Cut back on sodas and sugary drinks. Just give it a try for a few weeks – prove me wrong!!